Maggie Kuhn, the founder and outspoken chief The Grey Panthers, was born on at the present time in 1905. She majored in English in faculty after which went on to simply accept a job with the YWCA (Younger Girls’s Christian Affiliation) the place she grew to become a defender of working ladies and their causes. In 1950, Kuhn took an govt place with the Presbyterian Church of the USA the place she was liable for social schooling and motion.
Requested to retire earlier than her sixty fifth birthday, Maggie known as a gathering of others in the identical boat and fashioned The Grey Panthers (1972), as a community of older folks devoted to combating ageism in all of its nasty and degrading kinds. Different “isms” they had been in opposition to included racism, sexism, and militarism. They caused nationwide and native modifications in nursing house procedures, well being care, and compelled retirement.
On her eightieth birthday, Kuhn made a vow to do one thing outrageous a minimum of as soon as every week. She died on the age of 89 in 1995.
To honor and rejoice Maggie Kuhn on her birthday, do one thing outrageous this week and let one among these quotes from her be your guiding gentle within the days forward.
- “Studying and intercourse till rigor mortis.”
- “Stand earlier than the folks you concern and converse your thoughts — even when your voice shakes.”
- “Women and men approaching retirement age ought to be recycled for public service work, and their firms ought to foot the invoice. We will now not afford to scrap-pile folks.”
- “By the 12 months 2020, the 12 months of good imaginative and prescient, the outdated will outnumber the younger.”
- “Previous age is just not a illness — it’s energy and survivorship, overcome all types of vicissitudes and disappointments, trials and diseases.”
- “There have to be a objective at each stage of life! There have to be a objective!”